Talofa Lava, Kia Orana, Malo Lelei, Nisa Bula Vinaka, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Taloha Ni, Fakatalofa-Atu, and Warm Pacific Greetings!
Welcome to Compass Health's Pacific Health page. Here you will find out more about our services for Pacific peoples and helpful Pacific health resources and links.
Services for Pacific Peoples
Pacific Navigation Service
Funding received from Capital & Coast District Health Board enables the delivery of the Pacific Navigation Service across the CCDHB region.
Clinical oversight across all the Pacific Navigators is provided by Barbara Vardey (Clinical Services Manager, Compass Health). All referrals received are triaged and allocated by Esther Pereira-Saena (RN).
Over recent months CCDHB has reconfigured the Pacific Health Service contracts and delivery of this wrap around service is now the responsibility of the Compass Health and Well Health PHOs. The new service employs ten Pacific Navigators who have a variety of backgrounds including Registered Nurses and Community Support workers. The team are of a number of Pacific nationalities and speak several Pacific languages. They have offices in Porirua and Wellington and provide a mobile service across the CCDHB region.
This service is further focused on two Pacific health populations:
- Patients with Long Term Conditions
The other major change is that this service will work much more closely with ten Priority Practices where the majority of Pacific patients are enrolled. These include:
- Waitangirua Medical Practice
- Pacific Health Service Porirua
- Ora Toa Cannons Creek
- Ora Toa Mungavin Ave
- Porirua Union Community Health Service
- Titahi Bay Medical Practice
- Tawa Medical Practice
- Johnsonville Medical Practice
- Newtown Medical Practice
- Newtown Union Health Service
Access to Services
The priority practices are able to complete an electronic referral form through MedTech.
Any other services requiring our support can complete a hard copy referral and fax this through to the central point for triage on Fax number – (04) 801 8715.
- Pacific people and their fanau in CCDHB region
- Pacific children discharged from CCDHB
- Pacific children or adults overdue for a health event
- Pacific people living with a Long Term Condition (LTC)
- Pacific patients who require follow up or social support (eg access issues, language, culture or health literacy, or other)
- Pacific patients who regularly do not attend Primary Care or who require additional support to improve access
What we can do
- Support you to see your doctor or visit the hospital
- Help you access treatment before your illness becomes serious
- Help you and your family understand and manage your illness
- Help with language, transport, cultural issues and explain medical terms
- Help you and your family join a healthy lifestyle programme
- Help you see your doctor early when you are sick
- Support you with social and health concerns
Location of Teams and Contact Details
There are two teams for the Pacific Navigation Service, with one team based in Porirua and the other based in the Wellington. Click here to find out who is on these teams.
Pacific Health Service Porirua
Based in the heart of Cannons Creek, Porirua, this community-based Pacific Primary Healthcare Service consists of a Medical Practice and Community Health services. The service is delivered by multi-disciplinary primary care team of a GP, Registered Nurses and Community Health Workers. The services are based on Pacific Family Models of Care which include facilitation of access to primary general medical services. Programmes and services available include:
- Fanau Primary Care
- Outreach Immunisation Services (OIS)
- Facilitation Services (0-5yrs)
- Healthy Lifestyle Pasifika Programmes (HLPP)
- Pacific Youth Programmes
- Promotion & Health Education
- Home Visits
- Transport to and from hospital, doctors, WINZ, Housing appointments
- Advocacy, Translation & Interpretation (Pacific Languages)
- Health Screening, Monitoring - BSL, BP, Weight on base or at community venues
- Cervical Screening - FREE
- Arthritis - FREE
- Cardiovascular - FREE
For more information, visit Pacific Health Service Porirua at 16 Bedford Court, Cannon's Creek, Porirua, or call them on (04) 237 9824.
The Outreach Nursing Service is an extension of your own GP practice and can support practices to do health assessments in the community, at a location that is convenient to you such as your home. They provide assistance with reducing barriers to accessing health care such as cost or transport.
For more information visit our Nursing page or talk to your GP or Social Service Provider.
Pasifika Healthy Lifestyle Class
Pasifika Healthy Lifestyle Programme
Come along to one of our free or low cost community exercise classes. Everyone is welcome - bring along a towel, some water, and your friends and family!
For information and timetables of our exercise programmes, check out our Community Exercise Classes page.
Compass Health works with Interpreting Wellington and Language Line to provide interpreting services for people who would prefer to speak in their own language when talking to our doctors or nurses. Interpreting Wellington and Language Line currently provide interpreting services for the following Pacific languages:
- Cook Island Māori
Talk to your doctor or nurse if you or your family members need to use this service. For more information about the languages available visit the Interpreting Wellington or Language Line websites.
Pacific Health Resources
These pamphlets explain how Care Plus works, and how it can save you money on Doctors visits if you have one or more long-term health conditions.
Pacific Smoking Cessation Information
Information on quitting smoking from the Quit Group in Samoan and Tongan. For more information call 0800 778 778 or visit www.quit.org.nz.